Thursday, October 07, 2004

 

The Draft (continued)

Today a friend sent my wife a scary email about how her kids are all going to be drafted and there is an evil Pentagon plan to conscript America's youth. Sigh. See the post below; Congress killed this deader than a doornail, 402-2! My wife's comment? "Can you believe it?? Even defeating the bills doesn't stop the propaganda!!!"

I remember my Vietnam war-era days. My draft number came up 125, which was over a hundred and probably fairly safe but not high enough to be a guarantee. It never even crossed my mind to go to Canada and chicken out. Yes, chicken out. I would never have been able to look in the mirror. Fortunately for me it was 1972, the war was winding down, they didn't need me. People like Big John took advantage of our government's inability to gather public support and we fled Vietnam. Hundreds of thousands died after we left, or fled the country, or were put in "re-education" camps, and Russia invaded Afganistan. Probably a coincidence, though.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe with Bloglines