Tuesday, September 28, 2004

 

States pursuing tort reform

Betsy's page blog is a good one. She reports today on four states trying to limit awards. Take a look. Looks like it's Florida, Nevada, Oregon, and Wyoming. The lawyers are pulling off the gloves. My state, Colorado, seems to be in the safe zone for patient access. Wyoming, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Illinois, Florida, Texas, and numerous others are in severe crisis (look at the map in the Arizona article.)

I heard a guy say, "Well that guy in Illinois who was bankrupted by a malpractice suit was stupid. He only carried one million in coverage, he should have known better.
Reality check! Some OB-GYBN's pay $240,000, per year, for one million in coverage and make about $200K/year after expenses. Hm, let me think. Would I like to LOSE $40,000 per year so I could have 2 mill in coverage? Docs are leaving when they can, abandoning the poor and needy or giving up procedures or obstetrics. I really hope my daughter in Illinois doesn't need an obstetrician!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe with Bloglines